Friday, April 11, 2014

Typical Change-Hating Ghosts

The other night I had one of those dreams that you wake up from knowing you should have been frightened but aren't.

I arrived at my new home so very excited to be moving into one of my dream homes.  It was a huge Victorian style home, built in 1919.  It was a fixer-upper and I was eager to get started with the fixing up and decorating. 

As I approached the front steps - it was a large front yard that sloped with a long walk way with sets of four steps every few yards leading up to the grand front porch that spanned the entirety of the front of the house - a woman approached me and introduced herself as a neighbor.  She explained that she hopped we would be staying longer than most people who'd lived in the house, "Most people leave after only a few days because of the kids". 

"What kids?"

"The ghost siblings, we call them.  Four kids that died in the house during the 1800's, I think.  They terrorize anyone who tries to make the house a home.  Good luck with that."

The woman walked away and I continued to the front door thinking how dumb the woman was, the house wasn't even built until 1919.  As I looked through my keyring for the door key, out of the corner of my eye I saw something that caught my attention.  Looking to my right I saw three children standing together, smiling toward me as if they were smiling for a photograph.  A tall girl, maybe around sixteen, and younger girl, maybe around eleven, and a little boy, maybe around seven, all three dressed in clothing indicative of the great depression.  A chill ran down my spine and I hurried into the house even though I was telling myself the danger was inside.

The rest of the day was uneventful on the ghost front and I told myself I had just let my imagination run wild because of what the woman had told me.  Everything got moved in and I was just starting to unpack boxes when I realized how tired I was.  I decided a nice hot shower and bed sounded real nice.

I was walking down the hallway thinking of how I could fix it up to look nicer and of how much work needed to be done on it, when I heard a whispering accompanied by a little boy's laughter.  I hurried into the bathroom and thought to myself how dumb I was to try to run away from ghosts.

As soon as I turned on the light, a girl, the older one, came running at me with what looked like a shard of mirror glass.  She vanished just before impact.  I screamed and jumped away.

"What the fuck!"  I yelled.  "That's not nice!"

"You're not nice!"  The little boy yelled from nowhere.

"You don't even know me...yet."

"But, you want to change our house."

Oh, I see. I thought to myself.  Typical angry ghosts that don't like change. "No, I want to restore it to be just like it was when it was first built."

"Really?"  A new voice chimed in, and then the younger girl appeared in the bathroom doorway.

"Yeah, would you like the house to be like it was in 1919?"

Everything was quiet for a few moments.  The young girl stood smiling in the door way and then walked toward me.  the older girl and younger boy both appeared as well.  "We would like that."

"Good, because that is what I'm going to do."

"Georgie won't like it, though.  He won't like you."

"Who's Georgie?"

"Our brother, he doesn't like anybody living in our house, no matter what."  The girls looked at each other and then back at me.  "He's going to kill you."

Needless to say I didn't sleep much that night.  Georgie did come to see me in my bedroom.  He was a strange ghost that kept changing appearance between a young thirteen year old to an older maybe nineteen year old.  He was a medical student before he died and made reference to "Taking a look at your cat."  which gave me chills as well as making me angry.

I asked Georgie why he didn't want me in his house?  He looked at me and appeared pleased to hear me call it "his house" and then pointed out that it was HIS house.

"Well, then, might I rent it from you?"

Unfortunately, this is when I woke up.


No comments:

Post a Comment