Sunday, November 23, 2014

My, How Things Have Changed

Change comes quickly sometimes, like this past month. I have experienced many significant changes and the vast majority of them have been for the better.  It feels strange because for so many years most of the changes in my life have been a spiral downward or at the very least, a shift to the side.



I started by beginning to follow Dr. Bernstein's teachings on blood sugar normalization.  I gave up virtually all carbs and increased my protein intake.  As a result my blood sugars have begun to normalize and my insulin needs have plummeted.  I also have lost nearly 20 lbs in less than a month!  I feel awesome.  I haven't known what healthy feels like since I was eight years old, it is amazing how "sick" I've felt all these years and didn't even know it. I still need more work on my food to insulin ratio in order to tighten my control, but I'm getting there.

This new lifestyle is also saving us some money.  We no longer spend money on carb packed foods but instead smaller amounts of protein packed foods, and veggies.  We eat much less, so we spend much less.  Also, I have to pay full price for insulin, so the fact that I now take a fraction of what I used to makes the insulin last much longer.  I spend more on test strips though, which are expensive, but still a bit of money is saved in the long run.

I also made big changes in my living arrangements this month.  For several years now my husband and I have been living with roommates.  It has been a good experience since our 'mates have been good friends and for the most part quiet, clean, helpful, and reliable.  This month, however, our key 'mate had to move out so we took the opportunity to find a new home we could afford on our own and be just the two of us again.  We've been married fifteen years and have only lived alone for five of those years.  It is time to be alone again.  So we found a nice place and moved there.  It's on the high end of what we can afford so we have to make some sacrifices like Netflix, World of Warcraft, and cable T.V.. But in the end it is so very worth it.



The move to being alone has helped our health as well.  With no one else in the house contributing to unhealthy food in the kitchen, temptation is nowhere in the house.  No one to suggest pizza or fast food.  No one buying candy or ice cream.  No one fixing up high carb meals.  It's heaven, it's how I've always needed and wanted it.  It makes life so much easier. 

My cat is very happy with the move as well. She is a cat that does not get along with other animals or most other people besides me and my husband. She has always spent her time living in my bedroom and rarely coming out to explore or eat.  Now that it's just the three of us, she has blossomed.  She runs around the house carefree and playful, cuddles on the couch with us, and is obviously very content and happy.  It makes my heart swell.



I have been unemployed for most of this past year, well, I was employed but spent most of the year on medical leave and so ended up leaving my job.  Now that my medical issues are on the mend and I do not foresee any more surgeries until August, I think it is time to go back to work.  I was offered my old job back whenever I got better, but I don't want it.  So I applied to a store that is just two blocks down the street from my home.  I can't drive due to vision issues, so being walking distance from work is a good thing.  If I get this job it will help our financial comfort, and tide us over until I can land a good full-time job elsewhere.

So, everything seems to be falling into place after so many years of suffering.  We've suffered life-threatening health issues, unemployment, terrible financial troubles, transportation troubles, you name it.  Now, through hard work and a bit of good luck, we are on the right track and things are looking great!  Now to just keep up the good work.






No comments:

Post a Comment