Friday, July 18, 2014

Abscess Update

 *As usual, the following is written from my memory of the events.  Some things may be inaccurate due to faulty memories.  In any case, this is how I remember it:

I had a follow-up appointment today for the infected abscess on the back of my left thigh.  I didn't get to see the doctor who initially helped me last week.  Instead I got a newb.  I don't mind working with newbs, I am more than happy to help them get experience.  I just was a little annoyed that I had to go over everything I have gone through already because I couldn't see my usual doctor.

First off, my blood pressure was 105/68 which is slightly low.  The first thing I thought was that if my BP is this low all the time, maybe that's why I am so tired all the time.

The doctor asked me a million questions about the infection.  I was more than happy to show him pictures I had on my phone of the infection when it first started and when it was at it's worst.  He was happy I had them and took a couple minutes to study them and compare to the wound now.  After examining the infection, he said it looked like a classic staph infected abscess and it made sense that it started from a bug bite.  He also said he wouldn't be surprised if I was a long-term staph carrier (someone who always has a strain harbored on their body).   He said the infection and abscess was well on the way to healing but still required antibiotics.  Since he is a newb, he had to get final OK from his attending.

While waiting for the attending doctor to  come in, the newb went ahead and listened to my heart and lungs and checked my reflexes and eyes.  Just to pass the time.

The attending came in and looked at the infection and said, "Wow, that is a bad one."  He gave it a real good examination and decided to scrape the scab off to allow it to drain better.   Because I am on blood-thinners, he didn't want to fully lance it.  It was a bit painful as he scraped and pulled at  the very thick scab and squeezed the abscess.  The abscess was stubborn and didn't want to drain easily, so he finally made a very small incision.  All of this was done without a local, topical, or any other pain reducer or numbing agent.  It really didn't hurt all that bad.

The attending then agreed that I need to stay on the Bactrim (antibiotic) for another week.  They dressed the wound.  I was asked to return in one week for another follow-up.

Finally, I was given a Tdap booster because I am overdue for it.  That is vaccinations for tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough).

No comments:

Post a Comment